Dumbbell dot plots — dot plots with two or more series of data — are an alternative to the clustered bar chart or slope graph.
Use these dot plots to visualize two or three different points in time. Or, use them to triangulate different viewpoints (e.g., one dot for Republicans and another dot for Democrats, or one dot for principals and another dot for teachers).
- How to Make Dumbbell Dot Plots in Excel by Stephanie Evergreen
- More concern about violence, teenage pregnancy among lower-income parents by Pew Research Center
- Apartment prices in 2005 vs. 2015
- Language that describes male vs. female professors (interactive!)
- Number of job postings vs. hires in various industries
- Viewpoints on China, Millenials vs. Age 50+
- Republican vs. Democrat support for marijuana by age group
- Young people are less likely to vote
- Catholics vs. Protestants
- Pessimistic outlooks by country